Grotesque is a utility that helps you manage your collection of interactive fiction, or text adventures. It collects bibliographic and other information from story files and presents a convenient interface to build and organize a catalog of your games.
Grotesque is free software and distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL).
- Supports all formats covered by the Treaty of Babel for extracting metadata from story files, but you can define your own formats with their own associated interpreters and you may manually add metadata for any file.
- Fetches metadata information and cover art from the IFDB
- Quickly filters large collections by author, group, year of publication, genre, forgiveness or rating
- Keeps track of which stories you’ve played and which are new
- Displays a story’s metadata and cover art in an attractive GTK-based interface
- Python 2.6+ (Python 3 not supported)
- PyGtk and GTK 2.32 or PyGObject and GTK 3.0+
Grotesque is a Python/GTK based application, primarily targeted for Linux users, but an unsupported Windows version is available and it should be easily portable to Mac.
Bug Reports and Feature Requests
At the moment, there is no bug/feature tracker set up (please don’t use the one on the old Sourceforge project page). Until I find a good, easy-to-use tracker, feel free to send any bug reports or feature requests directly to me at (brandon .at. brandoninvergo .dot. com).
Would you like to help out with development of Grotesque? Great! All development is taking place on Gitorious. All you need is a (free) account there, then you can fork the repository, hack away, and then send a merge request when you’re ready!